Saturday, August 25, 2012

Tutorial: How I Groom and Fill in my Eyebrows

The long awaited brow tutorial is finally done! I am so sorry to my IG friends and Blogspot readers. I've been meaning to get this done for so long because I know a lot of you always ask me how I do my brows, but things with work and my personal life has just been hectic. Anyways, I finally got a chance to work on these pictorials yesterday and today, so I hope you all find this helpful!

tools I use for filling in my brows


First things first are the tools that you need.

For Grooming:
1. A good pair of tweezers (I prefer a pair of sharp ones with a slanted angle)
2. A comb or a spoolie to brush out the eyebrow hair and to help guide you in trimming your brows
3. Hair scissors for trimming
4. Aloe vera gel to soothe the skin after plucking, especially if your skin is sensitive and irritated.

For Filling in Brows:
1. MAC Paint Pot (ie. Painterly, Soft Ochre) or concealer (1-2 shades lighter depending on preference) to use for shaping and erasing any mistakes.
2. MAC Dipdown fluidline or a brow pencil that suits your skin tone
3. Brow powder or eyeshadow that is the 1-2 shades lighter than your natural hair color if your hair is dark, and 1-2 shades darker if you have lighter hair.
4. A flat liner brush and an angled brush for shaping and filling in, respectively. (I use the ones from Crown Brush's Italian Badger line)
5. (Optional) Brow gel to keep your eyebrows in place.


So for grooming, it took me a while to actually master this technique. I used to just trim and pluck blindly and fail miserably with gross eyebrows. And then I got into the habit of just getting them waxed or threaded every 2-3 weeks just because it was convenient and I knew that they did the job right (at least for my experience at the places I go to). However, paying $8-12 every two weeks seemed too much, especially when I learned how to groom my own brows to my own liking. It honestly takes some trial and error (unfortunately), and a lot of practice. Anyway, let's get to the pictorial!

1. Pluck away any unnecessary hair with tweezers until you get the desired shape. If you don't know the shape of your brows, I recommend getting your eyebrows done first, so you're given a guide and that you just follow that guide. Do not overpluck! This is one thing that I feel like every girl should remember! Eyebrow hair is very thin already to begin with and if you keep overplucking your eyebrows, the hair will eventually grow sparsely. 

2. Using a spoolie or a comb, first brush the eyebrows to make sure they aren't all over the place. I didn't have a spoolie so I used a comb, plus, it gives me more control bc I'm lefthanded. Then, brush the hairs of the inner half of your brows pushing up. Hold that into place until you see that part of your brows are all pointing upwards. You will see that some hairs are longer than others. Those are the pieces that you will trim. Make sure that you cut straight and not too much.

3. Use a similar method for the outer half of your brows, except instead of pushing upwards, you will be pushing down. Again, you will see unevenness on the hair, so just trim the ones that are longer. Make sure that when your eyes are relaxed, your eyebrows flow and nothing is too long or too short.

4. Finish off by brushing your brows with a spoolie and put some some aloe vera to soothe the skin from plucking.


For filling in my brows, there are a million ways to do it. This is ideal for when you wear a full face of makeup, especially for women who don't normally wear a lot of makeup. This is what works for me and I like the crisp eyebrow look, so I'm just sharing with you how I fill my brows.

5. Shape your brows underneath with a concealer or a neutral eye base. This for me minimizes mistakes because it serves as a guide for the next step. Normally, I use a lighter concealer or MAC Soft Ochre paint pot because it can also serve as a highlight for my browbone area. Make sure you blend this product down. You may also do this at the top of your brows if desired.

6. Using MAC Dipdown fluidline, I follow that shape I made in step 5 and outline the bottom part of my brows starting from the middle. Use very light strokes so there isn't a harsh line underneath your brows. Then, slowly outline the inner part as well with whatever product is left. If you think this isn't right up your alley, you can also use a brow pencil of your choice or maybe a darker shadow to do the outlining. After you've created that crisp line, feather up the line and blend it upward to fade.

7. Fill in your brows using an eyeshadow or a brow powder of your choice. I am using MAC Charcoal Brown e/s bc it's a cooler brown that isn't too grey and isn't too brown. Use hair-like strokes and make sure that the outer half is stronger than the inner half to make it more natural. Don't fill it up all the way so your eyebrows are peeping through and that it doesn't look so harsh.

8. Brush the hairs one last time with a spoolie to brush off any excess product. Use a brow gel if desired. Also, if you made mistakes, use the product you used in step 5 to clean it up.

I hope you all find this helpful! This is in no way of me telling you all that this is how brows are done, it is just how I prefer to do my brows.


No comments:

Post a Comment